What is GDPR? Why do I need Data Protection?
Handling personal data? – Learn about the different types of data – Audit your own organisation’s system – Lantra Accredited
What is GDPR?
The General Data Protection Regulation is a regulation within the EU law on data protection and privacy in the European Union and the European Economic Area. It’s an important component of human rights law.
Under the GDPR and Data Protection Acts 1988-2018, this Department, as a Data Controller(You), has a legal responsibility to:
- obtain and process personal data lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner
- keep it only for one or more specified and explicit lawful purpose(s)
- process it only in ways compatible with the purpose of which it was given initially
- keep data accurate, relevant and not excessive
- retain it no longer than is necessary for the specified purpose or purposes
- keep personal data safe and secure
The Data Protection Acts 1988-2018 are designed to protect people’s privacy. The legislation confers rights on individuals in relation to the privacy of their personal data as well as responsibilities on those persons holding and processing such data.
This programme is designed for people working with personal data, to make them aware of the responsibilities associated with the job and the necessary protective and preventative measures that are used to control and manage data in the workplace.
Outcomes of GDPR & Data Protection:
· Understand the history of, and, what is meant by GDPR and Data Protection
· Understand the seven principles of GDPR
· Know the key legisation in Ireland covering data protection
· Understand the lawful basis for processing data
· Know the different forms and types of personal data
· Be familiar with the relevant procedures to comply with the Data Protection Act 2018
· Differentiate between a data controller and data processor
· Be familiar with GDPR and data protection, how it applies to personal data in the workplace
· Be familiar with regulation pertaining to data breach notification
· Know how to carry out a basic data audit of the workplace
· Be familiar with terms and terminology
Learn more about the Course HERE!